Monday, April 19, 2004

It's amazing what lengths friends will go to to make you feel better. I am truly blessed. wow.




I read on a friend's IM profile a little quote the other day. I immediately found it so profound and wonderful that I was going to put it on here with a little " isn't this just so smart!?" sort of commentary. But then, I read it. I mean, actual READ what it was saying. And the little "oh, that's so cool" emotions that I had about it in the first place changed quickly when I thought about what it was acutally saying. Here's the quote :

" Happiness is essentially a state of going somewhere, whole-heartedly, one-directionally, without regret or reservation." - William H. Sheldon

Cute, sweet and sentimental...the first time you read it.
But then I THOUGHT about it. Why does happiness mean that you are GOING anywhere? why can't it mean contentment with where you are? Also, why must it be one-directional? Can't happiness stem from multiple things at once? And what on earth makes happiness coming from having no regret or reservation? Why can't happiness come with regret and reservation? You can have happiness in Jesus, yet still regret whom you have been. NO person is without some regret or another. Is that "sentimental statement" to say, then, that we have no regret? or that if we do have regrets, that we are unable to achieve happiness? And who is to say except GOD how Happiness is achieved? And with the "reservation" part... You can have reservations about the future, about what things may befall you, but that doesn't mean that you can't find happiness in Christ Jesus during those tough times b/c you know that He will guide you through them.


It just really made me realize how frivolous some "profound" statements can be, just b/c they sound good and don't really look at what they truly mean.


Just something to think about. <><

No comments: