Tuesday, August 30, 2005

Us women seem to be a timeless problem to men. This, we all know, especially since men seem just as aggravatingly intruiging in return. However, being of the fairer and more complicated sex, and loving literature (though I can't claim such control over it as my older sister) I do still have an interest in the comments of the famous, insightful, and altogher interesting facet of our society known at writers have on this never-ending conversation/opinions on this thing called relationships. My first assignment of the year for my American Lit class presented me such an opportunity to observe yet again the thoughts on this topic. In Irving's Legend of Sleepy Hollow, he comments that:

"I profess not to know how women's hearts are wooed and won. To me they have always been matters of riddle and admiration. Some seem to have but one vulnerable point, or door of access; while others have a thousand avenues, and may be captured a thousand different ways. It is a great triumph of skill to gain the former, but a still greater proff of generalship to maintain possession of the latter, for a man must battle for his fortress at every door and window. He that wins a thousand common hears, is therfore entitled to some renown; but he who keeps undisputed sway over the heart of the coquette, is indeed a hero."

What do you think?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think this subject (intergender relations) will consume my semester in one way or another. I am going to soon be reading Pride and Prejudice for my Brit Lit class with Dr. Freeh. The conversation generated should be interesting. Also, to let you know I am currently being wooed by the new Ok Go album Oh No.

-Zach

: said...

*sigh* I wish I could write like those famous and insightful people you speak of. Today, I'm reading a love story by Tolstoy: Family Happiness (which is rather skewed, being written from the perspective of a female; Tolstoy's writing is so blatantly masculine that it's a bit distracting).
Anyway, I think I agree with Irving here. Your question, though, was considerably broader than that...