Friday, April 15, 2005

I wear a silver starfish around my neck. It reminds me of so many things -- my friend Mallory who gave it to me for my 20th birthday, the sea which I love(which is one of the most beautiful and yet most decieving things ever), and the five points on Jesus where he was wounded before his death - his head, hands, and feet. I had heard mention, however, of a the "story of the starfish", and researched it on Google... and I found it. I liked it enough to copy and paste it here...

It is a bit contrived, and a bit "overly-told" sounding, perhaps, but it's true. If we are there for but one non-believer in the vast world where there is still a strong hold of sin on so many who have the chance to be a redeemed child of God, then why not be there and encourage even just that one? With no further ado, here's the "story of the starfish."

Once upon a time there was a old man who used to go to the ocean for peace and quiet, and for inspiration to do his writing. In the morning, he usually walked on the beach before he began his Starfishwork. One day as he was walking along the shore, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer, bending, then wading into the waves, arms extended.

It pleased him that someone would dance to the beauty of the day and the rhythm of the waves. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young girl. The girl wasn't dancing, but instead she was reaching down to the sand, picking up something, and throwing it gently into the ocean.

He called out, "Good morning! What are you doing?"

The girl paused and replied, "Throwing starfish in the ocean."

"I guess I should have asked, why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?"

"The sun is up and the tide is going out. If I don't throw them in, they'll be stranded on the beach and die."

"But don't you realize that there are thousands of miles of beach and starfish all along the way.
You can't possibly make a difference!"

The girl listened and considered. Then she bent down, picked up another starfish and threw it into the sea. She watched a wave lift it high, and then it sank into the life-giving water.

"It made a difference for that one,” she said.


Remember friends, and I encourage you (and myself,) it is our job to "Be strong and courageous, and do the work. Do not be afraid or discouraged, for the LORD God, my God, is with you. He will not fail you or forsake you until all the work for the service of the temple of the LORD is finished. " 1 Chronicles 28:20

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

aww kristin, i like your blog today; special story. it's amazing what a difference one can make, even in just one other person's life, and it's definitely worth the effort. love you!

Anonymous said...

i just wanted to say i heart you and you make me smile every time :) and i found some cool violets (they're white!) on the way back from lunch today, so we'll have to go on a walk and find them again sometime. i'm soo happy for you and your california job! and i like exclamation points too! :) oh yeah, that other comment is mine too lol. hugs!
cherrie