The difference....
I like being a barista. Don't get me wrong. But something perpetually misses from the equation which creates my 'job' and the environment in which I perform my caffienated and highly priced duties as such said barista.
Faith.
Good conversation.
I feel starved for both at work. I'm not calling myself an intellectual egg head, and far from genius. But when the main topic of my 4 hour shift revolves around whether I look more like Britney Spears or Katie Holmes to my coworkers and random exceptionally extroverted customers, and in an environment where we have dozens of magazine covers plastered with these two stars to give both parties plenty of "proof" of which person I look more alike, and I am forced to pose just like each picture of each star........ enough is ENOUGH. Can't we speak on something of at least SOME substance?!
And FAITH. This is the *big* struggle, though I realize it is a common problem I share with many believers in a world which would rather turn a deaf ear than listen for a single moment. I find those who believe they are Christians but would rather do anything but actually study what it is like to live like a believer, are particularly difficult to talk to sometimes, and this is how it is at work. They speak of drinking and getting drunk; they speak of their love lives which reflect anything but the orders which Jesus gives us. But, they have an attitude of "I've got Jesus, so leave my life alone. I know all there is to know. I'm saved - that's good enough." How difficult it is to speak to your boss about how your life must *show* your faith! How hard it is to tell them "You are close, but yet so far. Do what I do...but don't worry, I KNOW I'm not perfect." How many times can you gently rebuke until they get sick of your brash or gentle, obvious or subtle, rebuke? I DID encourage my boss to read "Wild At Heart" by John Eldredge. He was curious as to what I was reading during break (it was Captivating, but John and his wife, Stasi), and I am praying that perhaps it peaked the interest of the starving soul within him.
I know my work is not done in that Cafe. But my soul must be strengthened for the continuous and draining battle. This is why I am so excited to go to Campus By the Sea. Please pray for me.
1 comment:
People (especially lazy Christians) don't like to discuss Faith because it's an area where Truth hangs out and often pops up in a conversation. And people don't like Truth. It's so compelling. It cannot be ignored, and it demands an answer in the heart of those who stumble across it. Most prefer the impenetrable subjectivity of opinions and groundless ideas as topic for discussion, and it frustrates me too. Yet I know that I, too, avoid the Truth at times.
-Brian_
Post a Comment