WOULD YOU LIKE WHIPPED CREAM WITH THAT?... and other little thoughts.
Hey guys and dolls;) Ok, so my hiatus from the computer has not been meant to aggravate, purposefully keep you in suspense, or confuse you as to the happenings of my life. It has merely been an arduous week full of unpacking, road trips to my old house in Cedarburg, and, of course, Frappecinos.;) I'll try to give you avid viewers of my life (why you seem so interested in the life of pokey Kristin, I have no idea...please enlighten me) but I'll do my best to quench your thirst for knowing all the ins and outs of my new Illinois life!!
Alrighty. First things first. Many of you have taken the time to be upset by my lack of information when it comes to my talk of lack of hair atop my 20 year old head. Others have made quite the entertaining, albeit erroneous statements about possible theories as to WHY my hair decided to go missing. But here are the facts, folks, plain and simple (although they make me appear stupid in the long fun, facts is facts, and i will attempt to tell you all of them.:)) SO. Here it goes. I was at Chapter Focus Week with all of the kiddos who made the trek up there this year. A suspicious number of love notes were created by none other than the delightful ladies of H.C., and were all anonymously kissed and delivered to the men of H.C...... and all were signed "Proverbs 31 Woman". As part of the prank, some of the ladies decided that surprise attack with water balloons would be loads of fun, and I was all for the prank. Lack of brilliant planning as well as being late for the prank rendered a failed attack... but as girls, fun rather than perfect war strategies and tactics were what we were doing this all for. After the boys barracaded themselves in the cabin and dumped water on us with large pitchers, we were severly soaked and decided to be very brave and go run into Lake Huron (which was pretty cold) After much splashing, we decided to be truly daring and go *fully* under the water. Well, I did. And the water was shallow, and I bumped the top of my head on the sand. "ow, that kinda hurt" I thought at the time, but really didn't consider anything dire (you know, like losing your hair) happening. Well, when we tired of our little escapade, we went back and cleaned up. As I looked into the mirror when I began brushing my hair, I noticed that around where my head still hurt from being bumped, a few hairs were standing most very definately on end...and they were most very definately very SHORT. I gasped, and peered closer.....AND TO MY DISGUST a PATCH of hair had been nearly buzzed right off my scalp, and my scalp had been rubbed enough so that it was slightly bleeding!!!!!!!!!! I was perfectly horrified. I guess that the roughness of the sand was great enough with the force to cleanly shave of my hair. I couldn't decide whether to begin bawling and this newly discovered atrocity to my mane of hair, or laugh at the oddity of the situation! I mean, really.... WHO WOULD HAVE THOUGHT?! So, I ran back to my room. Dear Emily Miller was there, and I told her my news.......she burst out laughing and was unable to stop, while profusely apologizing for being rude all at the same time. The mix of emotions was incredible in the room....I understood her laughter, yet at the same time was mad at her for laughing at me, and wanting to cry, and wanting to laugh at myself!
Whether you are laughing, crying, or merely bored by this point in the story, I can tell you that I know that this has been a good experience for me. It's frustrating to know that you are bald on the top of your head. But it's harder to admit that the ONLY reason you are so upset about it is b/c of your vanity and pride. So, it's a good thing that it happened, I'm sure. And I CAN cover it up if i part my hair right.;) And it IS beginning to grow out and soften on the ends a bit. And besides, it IS funny....I mean, yesterday when my hair was all sleeked back still after my shower, the little tuft was there...standing straight up right on the top of my head!! I felt like Alfalfa from "Little Rascals"...and when i pushed it over, it stood straight back up. And, I admit, I laughed. :) "Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can"....I said it at the top of this page...I might as well try to practice it.
So, now that I've spent ALL that time talking about a meaningless bunch of uber-short hair on my head, let me tell you more about other facets of my life!
Alrighty. I think I'll start with work, since it's been the most predominant part of my life lately (aka...from 9am to 4:30pm today;)) Last Friday was my first day of training. The job isn't really hard, and I actually enjoy it pretty well...the kids are friendly whom I work with - they definately are still at the "acquaintance" status still, but what can you expect from three days of work? My boss is really nice and easy going, too. It's kinda freaky when you start out....learning all the drinks and how many scoops of this or pumps of that or whatever you have to use for all the different combinations, but I can already make a killer White Mocha, so I think i'll be alright in the long run. Ive already found out that two kids at work aren't Christian....one girl has Catholic parents but doesn't care about religion at all, and another guy has Buddist parents but is looking into some religion that I've never heard of. SO.... I'm not good on the whole witnessing thing....any advice from all ya'll out there as to how to witness at work without freaking the kids out?! B/c, I think this is a great opportunity...I just don't know how to approach it. I would LOVE your comments on this subject. Oh, random fact of information that I wanted to mention....there are about, oh, 10 people who work in the Cafe...and THREE of us are all named "Kristin"...all the same spelling. It makes life a little confusing. So, I guess we are the "KKK" afterall.:)
Other than that, I've managed to make 3 trips up to our old house in Cedarburg since last Tuesday. It's a four hour drive round-trip, and then we stay there all day, so it's been kinda burdensome. My parents have gone up there even more, so it's nice to know that we close on our house on June 4.... it'll be a great relief on our brains and our tempers to get this move over with. There's still so much stuff that we ahve to work on to get our new house looking good (and clean from boxes), but it'll be nice to get this step over with.
Hm...so other than all that news....I was thinking last night about "what gives us happiness." I think it all started with the thought... "i'll be so happy when my hair grows back!" I realized, though... there are SO many things that we base our happiness in other than God. I mean, when we are little, Christmas just isn't "happy" if we don't get that ONE toy that we REALLY wanted. And even now, I think all this "happy thoughts" about how I'll have a cute haircut, and I'll be tan, and I'll be this and that at the end of the summer when it's time to go back to school.... We base happiness on grades, and boyfriends (or girlfriends, for that matter -- that's for you, guys;)), and on how our day went, and what clothes we wear, and ALL this superficial inconsequential (did i spell that right? oh well.) things... When ALL we have to do is put our happiness fully and totally in God. If we do that, we'll never be unhappy if things don't go as WE plan. If your job is awful, oh well. If you become poor, well, it's aight. If you lose your hair in a freak gasoline fight accident (or in Lake Huron)...NO WORRIES!! B/c really, those things don't matter!! Now, I must say, Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was a a new attitude about what worldly things I think make me happy or not......but it IS a thought...and perhaps that thought will slowly help change me and you and remind us that, when things aren't going our way, that we can ALWAYS find joy and happiness in Him.
just something to think about. hope this excessively long entry keeps you folks entertained for at least a little bit.;) love you all, and I will do my best to write again soon, I promise.;)
No comments:
Post a Comment