Tuesday, October 09, 2007

Justice and Mercy...

Maybe I'll post more on this later, but something that has been hitting me lately about (one of the things ) that is so incredible about God. It is something which makes us so desirous to be like Him, but what keeps us from BEING Him... the ability to have justice, mercy, and grace... all in their proper measures and weights.

Us, as humans, never can quite even out the scales when we try to measure these things...we often take Justice too far, and end up hurting others with our desire for what's right and true. We push our side, what we consider the other deserves, forgetting the meaning of grace, forgetting how to be merciful towards their downfalls, and being blind to the downfalls and sins which we are committing at the same time by forcing so hard to "be right" and "have justice prevail."

Then, if we become too merciful and grace giving, we often appear weak, giving up the fight and turning the cheek so much that we forget what justice is...to have the bigger right still win.

Then, there is God. Omnipotent, Omniscient. Balancing the scales of justice and mercy...giving everything to us who don't deserve heaven on our own. And yet, it is still JUST.

Beyond your comprehension, no? It is beyond mine...

2 comments:

Elsa Stanley said...

It's beyond mine for sure. I've actually just been thinking about the justice of God...that'll be one of the first things I understand, I hope, in heaven :)

tami said...

Hey Kristin! I thought about this a lot when reading for my Shakespeare class last semester, because so many times in his plays what starts as harsh justice ends up demanding mercy and grace. I can't be sure that Shakespeare was really trying to portray God's perfect balance of justice and mercy, but I like to hope he was :) He sure got me thinking about the wonder of it!
How are you doing by the way?! It's good to see you back to posting!